A Security Assessment is Worth a Pound of Cure
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
The saying is nearly as old as the United States: coined by Benjamin Franklin regarding fire safety, but can easily apply to healthcare, regular mechanical maintenance and even data security assessments.
But since data security is nearly invisible – set up and then forgotten – we have to remind ourselves that our networks need annual checkups to stay relevant and up-to-date.
According to the National Cyber Security Alliance, one in five small and mid-market businesses fall victim to cybercrime each year and, of that number, 60 percent never recover and go out of business within six months of the attack.
Unfortunately, many mid-market companies don’t yet feel that periodic security assessments are an important cost of doing business unless it’s required by regulation.
Too often, these companies rely only on technology products to meet their security and/or compliance needs, when the most effective method is a combination of products, people and processes working simultaneously together to reduce risk.
Some mid-market companies often believe they have nothing of value to hackers, but studies show this is not true. Any information that can be monetized is of value to a hacker.
Good security policy cannot be developed without the foundation a security assessment provides.
A periodic security assessment allows you to:
- Find out if you’ve already been compromised. You might not know if you’ve never looked.
- Stay abreast of the latest security threats. Are you patching? Have you become vulnerable since your last assessment?
- Remind your staff of their data security training (and, if you haven’t trained them before, now is the time).
- Show your customers that you take the security of their personal information seriously. Experts predict that this may become an important factor in why customers choose to work with a particular company in the near future.
- Make smarter data security investments.
With a security assessment, you can evaluate ways your security can be compromised from the inside or the outside. If an organization does not take the time to properly secure their enterprise, the repercussions can be severe – ranging from fines, lawsuits, and loss of critical data to significant reputation damage.
Finding and fixing vulnerabilities is certainly a goal of any security assessment. With Sword & Shield’s extensive line of security services, our consulting team can help your organization successfully identify and remediate vulnerabilities, thus increasing your security posture and ability to resist attacks.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 865-244-3500 to find out how we can secure your future.