Sword & Shield uses Social Engineering exercises to determine your company's overall security awareness, physical security, and risks for leaking information to unauthorized persons.
Sword & Shield, a top social engineering company, performs a variety of exercises in an attempt to trick employees into divulging confidential information that may be used to compromise network defenses. This form of security assessment targets people and processes instead of technology.
The Sword & Shield Approach to Social Engineering
We work with our customers to define the targets, location and type of social engineering to be employed. The end results can provide vital security awareness training to employees and produce vital data for reducing risk. Our Social Engineering consists of three equally important parts:
- Targets – persons from whom the security analyst will attempt to extract sensitive information,
- Means – resources used to extract sensitive information from the target; can include telephone, e-mail, fax, text messaging and face-to-face communication, and
- Sensitive Information – the scope of data the security analyst will attempt to extract from the target; ranges from user login credentials to network design specs.
Types of Social Engineering Exercises
- Phishing – Sword & Shield analysts work with the customer to create a targeted phishing message from a supposedly trusted source. Sword & Shield tracks the open and click through rate and follows up with employees that inadvertently reveal information.
- Pre-Texting – Sword & Shield analysts make phone calls impersonating someone with perceived authority or privilege in order to gather key information like user names, passwords, access codes, etc.
- Baiting – Sword & Shield analysts leave a USB flash drive or other form of mobile storage media in an open area in order to identify employees that attempt to use the device, and those who turn it in to the appropriate department.
- Tailgating (or Piggy-backing) – Analysts attempt to bypass physical security at customer sites in order to roam unescorted, looking for open offices and/or unsecured workstations.
Questions Our Report Will Answer
- How effective is my security awareness training?
- How effective is my physical security?
- What is the risk that confidential information can be leaked?
Security Awareness Testing results and analysis are presented in a comprehensive report. The report details the vulnerabilities present and/or exploited using social engineering techniques. In addition to describing the current security posture, the report provides recommendations for improving security and reducing risk.
Real Success Story
As part of a social engineering exercise for a large U.S. manufacturing firm, Sword & Shield analysts determined that the help desk did not require employees to provide any type of authentication to reset their domain account password. Using this knowledge, the Sword & Shield team successfully contacted the firm’s help desk and had the password changed for a senior director. The Sword & Shield team then accessed the firm’s internal network using the compromised account in conjunction with the firm’s remote access VPN.
Based on Sword & Shield’s findings, the manufacturing firm updated the help desk policies and procedures, introduced annual security awareness training for all employees, and implemented two-factor authentication for the remote access VPN. Sword & Shield’s Social Engineering exercise helped the manufacturing firm identify the need for employee security awareness training.
Your organization’s reputation is one of its most valuable assets. Sword & Shield’s comprehensive suite of Security Assessments can expose your hidden risks and vulnerabilities and help you develop a plan to reduce your risks and prepare for attacks targeting your valuable data.
Discover Your Hidden Risks and Vulnerabilities
Request a Free Consultation for our Security Assessment services.
Featured Additional Security Assessment Services
Sword & Shield provides a wide variety of security assessment related services for our clients. The following list provides an overview of some of the most common services we perform. For more details about these services or other services we perform, contact us today.
Our engineers are experienced in auditing Oracle, Microsoft SQL, Notes, and several other database management system products. Among other things, Sword & Shield security engineers analyze authentication and authorization controls in the database system for least-privilege access controls and audit traceability. Emphasis is placed on matching the degree of security with the business and operational needs.
A Sword & Shield Firewall/Router Audit thoroughly evaluates the rule base for known security risks and policy violations. As a first line of defense against attacks, firewalls and routers must be implemented and maintained properly. Our Firewall/Router Audit provides a detailed analysis that reduces risks and increases perimeter security.
Mobile Application Assessment
Our Mobile Application Assessment, when combined with our Web Application Assessment, provides a comprehensive assessment of the security of the web application and the mobile devices used to interact with the application. The service analyzes the network transmissions and forensically analyzes the mobile device(s) used.
Sword & Shield performs a sweep of the telephone address space to detect unauthorized modems and authorized but insecure modems. We can perform a phone sweep as a stand-alone service, or as part of another service, such as an external network vulnerability/penetration test.
Security Architecture Review
The Architecture Review and Design process is coordinated through a client project manager and includes a set of structured interviews. These interviews and reviews focus on business areas supported by the network and the technology staff that supports the business units.
Virtual Infrastructure Assessment
This service provides the customer with the analysis necessary to protect all facets of a virtualized infrastructure. Included are areas related to access control, the application of least privilege, data protection, secure network configuration, disaster recovery planning and testing, and threat analysis. The goal of the assessment is to identify security gaps and develop remediation strategies.
The VPN Audit service audits your VPN and your VPN policies and recommends techniques to optimize and enhance your VPN’s effectiveness. We identify potential security vulnerabilities and help you reduce your risks.
Website Security Consulting
Web application security encompasses measures taken throughout the application’s life cycle to prevent exceptions in the security policy of an application or the underlying system vulnerabilities through flaws in the design, development, deployment, upgrade, or maintenance of the application.
Sword & Shield's Wireless Testing examines the subsystems, components and security mechanisms of a wireless network and identifies any weaknesses.